ADHD, Bipolar disorder and learning disabilites.
A parenting nightmare?
Children with ADHD, bipolar disorder, and learning disabilities are a challenge to raise. Believe me. I know! I am the parent of an ADHD, learning disabled, mood disordered 7th grader. I am also a masters degreed social worker who has worked in public education for 14 years and counting.
Everyday, I watch as my own child fumbles, stumbles and falls through life.
Every single day I have at least one moment where I question if I can keep going? Most days more than one moment!
Every single day I worry about what the future holds for him and how I can help make it better. Some days I doubt if I can make it better.
And every single day I watch other parents feeling the same way while watching their own children doing the same things.
If you have a child with
- learning disabilities
- bipolar disorder
- depression or
- other mental and emotional challenges,
then you probably struggle with getting him (or her) helpful educational and behavioral support.
I will provide you with information, understanding and support as you navigate being a parent, supporter and advocate for your child.
You will find information about working with schools, doctors and therapists. I will show you all your treatment options, both traditional and alternative.
Now, I cannot diagnose or prescribe treatment for your child. That is for the doctors or psychiatrists. But, I will offer you a place to investigate and learn so you can approach all who work in benefit of your child with confidence in your knowledge of what your child needs.
Maybe you find yourself here because others have suggested there are problems with your child? That can be a daunting and sometimes aggravating reality, what others think of our children. So even if your child does not yet have a formal diagnosis I can help.
I give you a place to start. Information and guidance. And then you decide if it is time to call in the professionals. And if so, you will be armed with enough knowledge to start the right conversations with the right people.
Welcome to ADHD-Bipolar-and-Beyond!!! At the very least, I hope you find yourself not feeling alone in your parenting journey as you wander through my site. At the most, I hope you leave with new information and a renewed sense of possibility.
International Web Directory
- The signs of ADHD, bipolar or other condition means what?
- Seeing the signs of ADHD, bipolar, LD, or something else doesn't have to be scary. It should be a pathway to help.
- What is an ADHD diagnosis and what does it look like?
- An ADD / ADHD diagnosis simply describes a set of possible behaviors. Here I will explore those behaviors more thoroughly.
- Bipolar disorder in children
- Bipolar disorder in children is a very real condition. When not properly diagnosed, tragedy can strike.
- Depression in children, signs and symptoms.
- Depression in children presents very differently than adults. Here I outline those differences.
- Learning disabilities and their effect on children.
- Children with learning disabilities sometimes suffer silently for a long time before anyone notices what is wrong.
- Sensory processing disorder causes challenges for kids
- Sensory Processing Disorder has different origins than ADHD but can mimic the behavior.
- Traditional medicine treatment options
- A comprehensive overview of traditional medicine or medical interventions for common childhood mental and emotional disorders.
- Alternative treatment options for LD, ADHD, and other childhood disorders
- Alternative treatment can be a viable addition and sometimes a replacement for traditional treatment in ADHD, Bipolar, and LD
- Parenting difficult children no matter the cause is a constant work in progress.
- Parenting difficult children who might have adhd, bipolar or other learning challenges is exhausting. Here is the most practical advice and simple resources to consider.
- Educational help for emotional and learning disordered children
- Functioning at school can be nearly impossible for children with adhd, bipolar and learning disabilities. Finding the right educational help is critical.
- Sleep problems are common in children with adhd and bipolar, often med related.
- Sleep problems for adhd or bipolar kids are a huge concern. Difficulty falling asleep is often a side effect of their meds but can have dire consequences to their growth, development and behavior.
- Copper Toxicity
- What role, if any, does copper toxicity play in the diagnosis and treatment of childhood disorders?
- The story of my ADHD child and our family
- My family's journey through ADHD, mood disorders and learning disabilities
- Library of books to consider for multiple childhood disorders
- A library of my favorite books suggested as resources for ADHD, LD, Bipolar, and Sensory Processing
- FAQ about ADHD, bipolar and general childhood treatment
- FAQ about ADHD, bipolar, and other disorders in children, including treatment
- Soothing techniques for your ADHD, bipolar or emotionally disabled child.
- Soothing techniques and relaxation methods for your behaviorally or emotionally challenged child.
- Contact me with questions or comments
- Contact me with questions or comments.
- ADHD-Bipolar-and-Beyond - What's New
- Visit here for updates in my family and new information in the world of adhd, bipolar, learning disabilities.
- ADHD behavior plans
- ADHD behavior plans are useful tools in managing and tracking daily behavior issues.